|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
Almond milk is basically a milky drink made from ground almonds and water. Besides being better in taste, almond milk also accords a number of health benefits to its users. Here are six essential facts about almond milk that will convince you of the benefits of making a batch in the privacy of your own home.
1. Almond milk is rich in protein and omega fatty acids.
2. Almonds milk does not contain cholesterol and saturated fats.
3. Almonds milk has high levels of vitamin E and unsaturated fats.
4. Almond milk contains minerals such as zinc, magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron.
5. 8 oz (237ml) of almond milk contains 70 calories, 2gm protein, 10gm carbohydrates and 2.5 gm fat: 2.5g.
6. Almond milk has zero fiber.
I found this homemade almond milk in a wonderful book by author Sophie Uliano in her groundbreaking food and nutrition book, The Glorious Green Diet. It is oh so simple to make and tremendously rewarding. The full recipe is as follows. Cheesecloth can be purchased at Whole Foods Market or any other specialty food store. I know you will love this special milk recipe because I have been using this recipe for the past month or so and it works! Enjoy and let us know how it turns out for you.
Homemade Almond Milk
1 cup raw almonds
You will need unbleached cheesecloth
Yield: about 4 cups almond milk
1. Place the almonds in a glass bowl and cover with 4 cups water.
2. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Drain, rinse; and put in a blender with 3 cups fresh water.
5. Blend until smooth.
6. Strain through cheesecloth-lined strainer into a pitcher.
1. Return the almond milk to the blender and blend with 3 or 4 dates that have been soaked in water for a couple of hours, or make a delicious green shake by blending with 1/2 banana, 1 teaspoon green superfoods, and 1 teaspoon agave syrup.
Green superfoods are phytonutrient-rich green plants, algae, and cereal grasses..They are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, and plant sterols.
Recipe courtesy of:
Uliano, Sophia. The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green. New York: Dutton Adult, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc., 2009. Page 267.
Almond milk facts courtesy of iloveindia.com.
photo courtesy of candicekumai.com.