|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
April 14th is National Pecan Day! Did you know that pecans contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals – including vitamin A, vitamin E, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, several B vitamins and zinc? Pecans are healthy and good. A great combination. This pecan pie recipe from the Georgia Pecan Commission will highlight just how tasty and outstanding pecans really are. Enjoy!
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped Georgia pecans
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell or prepared rolled pie dough (formed into a 9-inch pie pan)
1. Preheat oven 375* F.
2. In mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, corn syrup, flour and vanilla until creamy. Stir in Georgia pecans.
3. Pour into pie shell, bake 40-50 minutes or until pie is set.
Honey Pecan Topping
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons honey
1 cup Georgia pecan halves
1. In small pot, combine brown sugar, butter and honey.
2. Cook over low heat until comes to a boil, stirring. Stir in Georgia pecans. Remove from heat.
3. During last 5 minutes of baking, remove pie from oven, spread topping evenly over top. Return
to oven. Broil until topping is bubbly and golden brown, watch carefully.
Makes 8-10 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the Georgia Pecan Commission.
Photo courtesy of Southern Living Magazine.