|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
February 16th is National Almond Day. Celebrate National Almond Day with a scrumptious almond muffin recipe. Almonds have been known to man since 1400 B.C. They are California's largest tree nut crop. This muffin recipe is smooth to the taste and a wonderful representative for a great nut. Enjoy and Happy Almond Day!
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup wheat germ, divided
2 large eggs
1/2 cup plain or vanilla-flavored almond milk
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup almond oil or corn oil
Zest of 1 orange
1 cup slivered almonds, roasted*, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400*F.
2. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a bowl; stir in 3/4 cup wheat germ, and set aside.
4.In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, juice, sugar and oil. Add dry ingredients all at once and stir lightly until liquid is absorbed; batter will be lumpy.
5. Stir in orange zest and 3/4 cup almonds. Divide batter among muffin cups and sprinkle tops with remaining almonds and wheat germ.
6. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and let cool.
Serve with almond butter, or soy-based “cream cheese.”
* To roast slivered, chopped or sliced almonds :
1. Spread in an ungreased baking pan.
2. Place in 350*F oven and bake 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to assure even browning.
Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Almond Board of California.