|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
This exceptional cake recipe harkens back to the old-style Victorian cakes made when coffee and tea in the afternoon were must attend events! This cake recipe combines outstanding ingredients to make a lush, sumptuous event cake. It will freeze well and be a great treat for all of your important guests.
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. fresh ground cinnamon
3 fresh large eggs, beaten
1cup canola or vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, do not drain
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
2 cups roughly chopped ripe bananas
1. Preheat oven 350F. Grease and flour 3 ~ 9 inch round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, sift together first five ingredients.
3. Add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. DO NOT BEAT with an electric mixer.
4. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas. Pour batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
6. Remove cake from pans, let cool completely on wire racks. Meanwhile, make frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 - 8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temp
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temp
2 - 16 oz. packages confectioners sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1. In a bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy.
2. Stir in pecans until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Spread the frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
4. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top and pat down the sides.
5. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yields 12 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Dae Thompson of Marietta, Georgia.
Photo courtesy of Woman’s Day Magazine.