|Written By Administrator|
Institute, West Palm Beach, FL.
Casablanca Chicken Stew
Makes 6 Servings
1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained
3/4 cup golden raisins
1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
1 tablespoons flour, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1. In large sauté pan over medium high heat, warm olive oil. Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring often, until chicken pieces are browned, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. To same sauté pan, add onions and red bell pepper; cook until almost tender, about 6 minutes.
3. Add garlic, black pepper, cinnamon, cumin and ginger. Stir and cook until spices are fragrant, about 45 seconds.
4. Add garbanzo beans, raisins, chicken broth and cooked chicken. Bring mixture to a simmer; reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes.
5. Bring sauce in pan to a simmer, pour in flour/ water mixture and stir well. Simmer 5 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.
6. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, cilantro and lemon juice.
Serve over rice or couscous.
Total Fat 13g;
Saturated Fat: 3g;
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.