|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
This chicken and olive recipe is a true Mediterranean classic! This delicious, easy-to-follow recipe represents both Jewish and Arab influences that date back thousands of years. Pay close attention to your salt usage because the olives are already salty.
6-8 chicken parts
1/2 cup oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 tomatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
450 g (1lb) green olives, washed thoroughly and pitted
Salt and finely crushed black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a wide saucepan.
2. Add the garlic, sauté for one minute and add the tomatoes. Cook for about 3 minutes, add the tomato paste and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
3. Arrange the chicken parts in the saucepan. Add the olives and pour in the remaining oil.
4. Season, taking care not to use too much salt. Pour in the chicken soup, making sure the contents of the pan are covered with liquid, and cook for 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
5. Add the parsley and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Serve over a mound of couscous or steamed rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of:
Gur, Janna, The Book of New Israeli Food: A Culinary Journey. New York: Schocken Books, 2008.
Picture courtesy of chezus.com.