|Written By Administrator|
Send them with your Irish lad to school or church.
They will cause extreme amounts of conversation
St. Patrick Shamrock Cookies
Makes 3 Dozen
1 cup shortening
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
green paste food coloring
green colored sugar, optional
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Gradually add flour and salt.
2. Tint with food coloring. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2 inch shamrock cookie cutter.
4. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
5. Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
Picture courtesy of www.grammascutters.com