|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
A great chocolate frosting should taste intensely of chocolate, be easy to put together, spread smoothly over a tender cake without tearing it, and hold its shape when piped through a pastry bag. This frosting has all of those characteristics!
1 3/4 cups unsweetened natural cocoa
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup unsalted butter, very soft
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Strain the cocoa, confectioners' sugar and espresso powder, if using, into a bowl.
2. Bring the cream to a simmer on the stove or in the microwave, and whisk into the cocoa mixture.
3. At first the mixture will look grainy; continue whisking for a minute.
4. You'll see the lumps disappear as the sugar dissolves and the cocoa hydrates. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
5. Place the butter, salt, and 2 cups strained confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl.
6. Beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
7. With the mixer running on low speed, add the cocoa mixture a spoonful at a time until it's all incorporated. Scrape the bowl, then beat at medium speed for one minute more. Use to frost cake as needed.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the King Arthur Flour Company Copyright © 2009.