|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
This finger licking good chicken recipe is a tailgating masterpiece! The New Orleans Saints have a great tandem in quarterback Drew Brees and running back Reggie Bush. Tailgating at the Superdome with a bucket of this home made chicken will endear you to all your family and friends.
1 cut-up broiler-fryer chicken (about 3-1⁄2 lb)
1-1⁄2 cups buttermilk
3⁄4 cup flour
1-1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄2 tsp each pepper and dried thyme
3 cups oil for frying (see Note)
1. Put chicken and buttermilk in a large ziptop bag, seal and refrigerate 2 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
2. Drain chicken in a colander; discard butttermilk. Don’t pat chicken dry.
3. In a clean plastic bag, combine flour, salt, pepper and thyme.
4. Add several pieces chicken, seal bag and shake to coat well.
5. Remove chicken to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
6. Heat oil in 1 large or 2 medium-size heavy skillets over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
7. Add chicken, cover and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, 20 minutes, reducing heat slightly if chicken begins to brown.
8. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high and cook, turning often, 10 minutes or until chicken is golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
Note: Leftover oil may be strained through a strainer lined with a paper towel or a coffee filter and used once more for cooking
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Woman’s Day Magazine. Recipe published 3/6/07.