|Written By Dae Thompson|
It's grillin' time! This recipe is one of my Dad's specialties and we kids loved the fun of making and eating it.
1 1/2 lbs. tender beef, (chuck) cut into 2" chunks
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine (Burgandy or Merlot, which is sweeter)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 ginger root slice, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. coriander leaf, ground
18 ripe cherry tomatoes
1 sweet green peppers, seeded and chopped
1 red or yellow bell peppers, chopped
3 medium potatoes, par-boiled
18 large mushrooms, wiped with a damp paper towel
18 pearl onions, par-boiled
3 thick, low sodium bacon slices
1. In a large bowl, blend olive oil with wine and lemon juice.
2. Stir in onion, ginger, garlic, and spices.
3. Pour mixture into a large zipper bag and place meat chunks in marinade and turn to coat. Marinate overnight, turning pieces occasionally. (Note: place the beef in the freezer for about 30 minutes, this will make it easier to cut.)
4. Cut bacon, potatoes and peppers into bite sized pieces.
5. Thread meat and vegetables onto skewers, placing a piece of bacon over each meat chunk.
6. Grill over hot coals in a grille basket, if available, until everything is well browned and beef is cooked through to your taste.
7. Put marinade in a saucepan and simmer on low until reduced to half or serve the skewers with warmed Teriyaki sauce. NOTE: If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
Yield: approx. 6 servings, 2 skewers per plate.
Sides: Rice Pilaf, green salad, Raita