|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
Winter and chili are a perfect combination. This extremely light, 411 calorie chili recipe is a perfect guard against any type of cold. Add your favorite toppings and don’t be afraid to make batch after batch. Chili is great heated up. Sprinkle some simple crackers on top and enjoy. Perfect for the lunchbox as well!
1 1⁄2 pound lean ground beef
1 large red onion, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons cumin seeds or ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 can (28 oz) fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon chopped bittersweet chocolate (optional)
Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped red onion, red pepper and cilantro
Garnish: sliced avocado and red pepper (optional)
1. Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add beef, onion and red pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring to break up meat, until it is no longer pink.
3. Stir in chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt. Cook, stirring, 1 minute until fragrant.
4. Stir in tomatoes, beans and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes to develop flavors.
5. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate (if using) until melted.
Serve with some or all of the Toppings.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Woman’s Day Magazine. Recipe published 2/13/07.