|Written By Dae Thompson|
This outstanding minestrone soup recipe is heart warming, healthy, tasty and economical. What could be better than this soup? It comes together quickly and smells heavenly. Enjoy on a cold, blustery winter day!
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup (2 stalks) finely diced celery
1 cup (2 medium) carrots peeled and roughly shredded or finely diced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
6-7 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups canned chopped Roma tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini (garbanzo) beans, drained
1 1/2 cups small diced green or yellow zucchini or a mix of both (1 each)
1 cup Orecchiette, Tubetti or other small tube shaped pasta
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded, grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
1. In 6-quart stockpot, heat oil over medium-low heat.
2. Add garlic, onion, and celery and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in carrot and herbs and toss to coat. Add stock and tomatoes, bring to a low simmer.
4. Add garbanzo beans, zucchini and pasta. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover; simmer about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf.
Serve with grated cheese and warm bread sticks.
Makes 6-8 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Dae Thompson of Marietta, GA.
Picture courtesy of indobase.com.