|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
This outstanding burger recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc. Fire up the grill and treat both neighbors, family, and friends to a wonderful all-American burger dish. Pop the top on a ice cold root beer or coca-cola and celebrate our nations birthday. Happy Birthday America!
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
4 slices sweet onion (1/2-inch)
8 slices Swiss cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
4 crusty rolls, split, toasted
Romaine lettuce, tomato slices
1. Lightly shape ground beef into four 3/4-inch thick patties.
2. Brush onion with oil. Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onion around patties.
3. Grill, uncovered, 13 to 15 minutes to medium (160*F) doneness, until patties are not pink in center and juices show no pink color and onions are tender, turning occasionally.
4. Season with salt and pepper after turning. About 1 minute before patties are done, top each with 2 cheese slices.
5. Combine mayonnaise and mustard; spread on top halves of rolls.
6. Serve burgers and onion in rolls with lettuce and tomato.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information per serving:
55 grams protein;
36 grams carbohydrates;
52 grams fat;
724 mg sodium;
173 milligrams cholesterol;
9.1 mg niacin;
0.6 mg vitamin B6;
4.4 mcg vitamin B12;
5.3 mg iron;
10.8 mg zinc.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Wisconsin Beef Council.