|Written By Administrator|
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Shrimp, uncooked
1/4 cup Onion, minced
1 or 2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp Olive oil
4 to 5 cups Chicken broth
3 or 4 Dried mild chilies
1/4 tsp Cumin, ground
Salt & cayenne to taste
2 cups Corn tortilla strips
1/4 to 1/2 cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 cup Grated Colby Jack cheese
1. Peel and devein shrimp, retaining tails, if desired. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, saut√© onion and garlic in oil until tender and golden. Add broth. Wash, seed and chop chilies; add to broth and simmer 20 minutes. Season with cumin, salt and cayenne.
3. Add shrimp; simmer 2 or 3 minutes until shrimp are cooked.
4. To serve, crumble a few tortilla strips into soup bowls.
5. Pour hot soup over, dividing shrimp equally among the bowls.
6. Top with a few tortilla strips, cheese and cilantro.
Serve with warm corn tortillas.
Recipe and photo courtesy of © 2009 National Fisheries Institute and sourced from: Ocean Garden.