|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
Halloween and pumpkin pie just seem right together. This Halloween pumpkin pie recipe blends pure maple syrup with easy to use canned pumpkin puree. Calories are held to a minimum, just 265 calories per serving. Celebrate the season and Happy Halloween!
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold butter, cut into pieces
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ice water
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin-pie filling)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
4 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons sugar
1. To make the crust, in a medium bowl, stir together flours, sugar, and salt until combined.
2. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces remaining.
3. Stir in vinegar and ice water until mixture just comes together (add more water if necessary). Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 375*F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a 12-inch round and fit into a 9-inch pie plate, making a fluted edge. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
5. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, maple syrup, milk, vanilla, and salt.
6. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake about 50 minutes or until set, checking pie after 30 minutes and tenting edges if browning too quickly.
7. Transfer pie to a wire rack to cool for an hour before transferring to refrigerator to cool completely.
To serve, in a small bowl stir together sour cream and sugar to taste. Serve pie with a dollop of cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Whole Living Magazine.