|Written By Recipe Coordinator|
A great custard sauce recipe that goes well with many dessert options!
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons Kahlua
1. Put the milk and cream into a large saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a boil.
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in about half of the sugar.
3. In a large bowl, combine the remaining sugar, egg yolks, and salt, and set aside.
4. Return the cream mixture to the stove over medium heat.
5. When the cream starts to simmer, reduce the heat, add the yolk mixture, and whisk for 3 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
6. Add the vanilla and Kahlua and blend well. Pour through a strainer into a shallow bowl and refrigerate until cold.
Makes 2 cups.
Recipe courtesy of:
Blanchard, Bob and Melinda, At Blanchard’s Table: A Trip to the Beach Cookbook. New York: Clarkson Potter/Publishers, 2003.